(BeWellBuzz) This is our planet, and we are responsible to protect and save it. Every little step towards saving the earth can go a long way, if we all start doing it. Energy conservation is an important aspect that we should be focusing to reduce environmental impact.
Reduction in energy consumption helps to reduce the use of electricity, thereby lowering carbon and other emissions. Traditionally, we have been using halogens light bulbs in our homes, offices and schools, these bulbs not only consume more energy but also spike up the electricity bill. Not only that, halogen bulbs have been found to have a short life period, and they have a tendency to get dim with time.
The best way to save energy and preserve the environment is by replacing traditional incandescent light bulbs with new energy-saving and efficient alternatives which will not only help to save the environment but will also save you a lot of money in terms of electricity bills and replacement costs.
The two most popular alternatives, which are available in the market, are LEDs (Light-emitting diodes) and CFLs (compact fluorescent lights). Both of these types of bulbs are good to lower carbon emissions and to help protect the environment.
Here, are a few things about LED and CFL bulbs that can help you decide which alternative source of light would you want to use.
LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes)
Pros of using LEDs
- The total useful life of LED bulbs is more than eight times than that of CFL’s at 50,000 hours.
- LEDs are free from any harmful/hazardous materials, both to humans and to the environment.
- LEDs produce less heat as compared to other lighting sources, which is why they help to reduce cooling, as well as electricity cost.
- An LED during its life can help in reducing up to half ton of greenhouse gas emissions from entering the atmosphere.
- According to various estimates, lighting needs for a typical household is on average 20% of the total electricity usage. Replacing conventional lighting with LEDs can help to bring this figure down to just 5%, saving tons in energy bills.
- According to Wall Street transcript the LED market has grown by 30% per annum over the past five years. Hence, it can be concluded that this is the technology for the next generation, and investing in it is a profitable idea.
Cons of using LEDs
- The price of an LED is quite high as compared to normal bulbs.
- Few renowned companies manufacture them so they are difficult to get hold off.
CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lights)
- The United States Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency have concluded that CFLs utilize 75% less electricity than halogen bulbs. As a result, they generate 75% less heat that the normal halogen bulbs. This makes them last approximately ten times longer than halogen bulb.
- They are easily available at stores across the country.
- They are not very expensive, when compared to normal halogen bulbs and are cheaper than LEDs.
- A CFL during its life can help in reducing hundreds of pounds of greenhouse gas emissions from entering the atmosphere.
- A study, conducted by PEARL (Program for the Evaluation and Analysis of Residential Lighting), shows that CFLs tend to get dim over the course of time.
- They contain toxic mercury, which is harmful to the environment, as well as humans, if it is not disposed off safely.
- CFLs have a warm up period, and depending on the design and the type of blub, it can take anywhere from one to three minutes before it is glowing at full strength.
Both these technologies have their downsides, but can prove to be very useful and a major improvement as compared to incandescent bulbs. From a business perspective investing in either technology is also a feasible option, as both their market is increasing with every passing year.
Today, businesses also need to change their focus from the traditional bulb to these new innovative technologies, which are in the market to stay. LEDs cost more but have a longer life time, and for people who can afford to buy LEDs will find them to be cheaper in the long run. This is because LEDs last up to 15 years if taken proper care and after 15 years one can throw it in the normal garbage without any problem.
Both CFLs and LEDs can prove to be environmental friendly and can help in conserving energy cost if used responsibly.