Avocados are known as one of the healthiest foods. And we totally agree! They are not only delicious but also offer so many powerful benefits. And avocado oil is one of the tastiest oils too! Here are some of the reasons why you must eat one every day. This post from Idealist 4 Ever discusses the origins of avocados and what makes them one of the healthiest foods.
The avocado is believed to have originated in Puebla, Mexico. The oldest evidence of the avocado was found in a cave in Puebla, Mexico and dates back to around 10,000 BC.
Native to Mexico and Central America, the avocado is classified in the same family as camphor and cinnamon. An avocado is botanically, a large berry that grows on a tree that can reach 6 feet tall. Just like a banana, the avocado ripens 1-2 weeks after being picked.
Avocados are often referred to as the healthiest food due to its impressive nutritional value.
An avocado contains these vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B9
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
Here are a few interesting health facts about avocados
- An avocado contains more potassium than a banana. Avocados have 14% and a banana contains 10% potassium.
- Folate for your heart’s health. Avocados have 23% folate which lowers incidences of heart disease. Vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione are also good for the heart. Folate can lower the risks of having a stroke.
- Folate is also essential in the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defect.
- Eating avocados help our body’s absorb 5 times the amount of carotenoids (lycopene and beta carotene).
- Eye Health – Avocados contain more carotenoid lutein than any other fruit, protecting against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- High in beta-sitosterol, avocados lower bad cholesterol by 22%, raises good cholesterol by 11% and also lowers blood triglycerides by 20%.
- Studies show high oleic acid prevents breast cancer, inhibits tumor growth in prostate cancer and seeks out precancerous and oral cancer cells and destroys them.
- Avocados are high in fiber and will help you feel fuller longer, potentially helping with weight loss. High fiber helps metabolic health and steadies blood sugar.
- Avocado extract paired with soybean oil can reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Pholyphenols and flavonoids within avocados have anti inflammatory properties.
- Avocados cleanse the intestines, relieving bad breath.
- Avocado oil greatly nourishes the skin and is a beneficial treatment for psoriasis and other skin irritations.
- Avocados contain an antioxidant called glutathione that prevents heart disease, cancer and slows the signs of aging. Glutathione also fights free radicals.
Our blood and cells carry oxygen all throughout our bodies. When we are exposed to environmental pollutants, these toxins change the oxygen in our mitochondria into free radicals, destroying our cells and DNA. This damage creates chronic illnesses. Researchers from the Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology have found glutathione in avocados can be absorbed into our mitochondria and then neutralize the free radicals.